The directors of ABMech Design and Analysis Ltd are pragmatic professional mechanical engineers with extensive experience in industry, including UK Rail; occupying technical leadership and consultancy positions in several major companies.
Andrew Buckingham is a consulting engineer with extensive experience in the fields of stress/structural analysis, structural design, experimental stress analysis, unattended data capture and software processing, innovative design, failure investigation, life assessment and seismic qualification. He has worked for companies such as GEC ALSTHOM, ERA Technology, Serco Rail and Balfour Beatty. Sample experience is as follows:
- The finite element analysis of LUL shoe gear.
- Non-linear analysis and design of an elastomeric bump stop.
- The structural FEA of an airport service trailer.
- Redesign of a failure-prone level crossing barrier component.
- A fatigue life assessment of structural components using NCode and ABCascade software.
- Non-linear finite element analysis and fracture mechanics assessment of a parabolic leaf spring for a railway goods wagon.
- Networker rail vehicle traction motor experimental stress analysis, fatigue and fracture mechanics studies, dynamic and static FEA.
- Stress and stiffness analysis of parabolic antenna support structures and the design of stiffer and lighter reflector supports for mobile applications.
- Seismic design, analysis and qualification projects, including finite element analysis and shaker table testing of nuclear related equipment for CSB Faslane and Sizewell B stations.
David Matthewman is a Loughborough University First Class Honours graduate in mechanical engineering experienced in the fields of stress/structural analysis, component design, unattended measurement systems and data capture, transducer design, CAD and mechanical engineering analysis. Sample experience is as follows:
- Dynamic modelling of a railway vehicle using track input data.
- Finite element analysis of a rock crusher vehicle chassis.
- Finite element analysis of a reinforced nylon control pedal.
- Design and FE analysis of railway switch and crossing components.
- Finite element analysis of welded components and assessment against BS7608.
- Large displacement/post buckling analysis of structural components.
- Detailed analysis & failure investigation of a critical railway stretcher bar/switch rail bolted interface.
- Design and installation of a bespoke monitoring system for testing of a new railway vehicle.
- Design, manufacture, testing and installation of load-measuring bolts.
- Calibration of an instrumented locomotive pantograph for an Australian railway application.